It is Never too Late to Come to Allah

Maria (now Mariam) from the UK converted to Islam in December 2019 at the age of 84. She was born in the UK and was orphaned at birth. She does not have a family.

One day, something inside her heart told her to become Muslim. And a few weeks later she walked into the Redbridge Islamic Centre.

A Voice Inside My Heart

One day, when I was on my way home, a voice inside my heart told me that I should become a Muslim. It was strange and I wondered how I can become a Muslim.

I knew about mosques and that you take off your shoes and that women cover their hair. But I never thought of taking Islam as my religion. Until that very moment.

So, how can I become a Muslim?

I reasoned that I would have to go to a mosque. But I was worried that I would not be accepted into the mosque because I was not Muslim. Somebody had told me that non-Muslims cannot visit a mosque.

First Time Inside A Mosque

However, I could not stop thinking about this voice in my heart. And one day, I took all my courage and walked towards a mosque in my hometown. My legs were like jelly. I was so worried. It was cold outside and I just stood on the porch of the Islamic Centre.

When a lady passed by me, I took all my courage and asked her if I can come inside. She was such a kind person and invited me in. She offered me a chair. It was Friday and the wonderful lady explained to me what is about to happen during the Friday prayer. I took it all in.

How Do I Become A Muslim?

But then I could not hold back my question any longer: “How do I become a Muslim”, I asked her. She explained the shahadah to me. And after she was finished, I told her that I wanted to become a Muslim.

I recited my shahadah with some beautiful sisters before the Friday prayer. And after the prayer, I recited it again with the Imam of the mosque.

Alhamdulilah. Ever since, the beautiful sisters of my mosque have supported me and helped me to learn more about Islam.

I Found A Family

One of the most beautiful things about becoming Muslim is that I found a family. I never had a family. I don’t know my mother nor my father. I grew up in different foster homes and had to take care of myself from the age of 15.

The sisters in the mosque really adopted me. I was invited to their home. They care for me. Especially during this Covid-19 pandemic, they take care of me. They teach me about Islam and help me to learn short prayers and Surahs from the Quran. I was also told that all Muslims are my brothers and sisters.

This is so wonderful for somebody like me who has never had a family. By becoming Muslim, I got the biggest family I could have ever imagined.

I Worry to Loose My Words

I turned 85 in February this year. And one of the things I really worry about is that I loose my words. The words I just learned like ‘Alhamdulilah’, ‘SubhanAllah’ or ‘Allah u Akbar’. I really want to continue learning and reciting words from the Quran.

I am just so grateful that Allah showed me His way. Even though I am so old already, I want to learn something new everyday.

Since the lockdown in the UK, one of my close friends from the mosque prepares written lessons for me to study the Quran. With her help, I can also learn more about the 99 beautiful names of Allah.

My First Ramadan

This year of 2020 is also my first Ramadan. My friend told me that due to my old age, I don’t need to fast. But I wanted to try and fast this Ramadan.

Allah guided me to His beautiful religion. I want to follow His commands as much as possible as long as I can.

And, Alhamdulilah, I am fasting.

Watch how Mariam tells part of her story:

The post It is Never too Late to Come to Allah appeared first on About Islam.



source https://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/my-journey-to-islam/it-is-never-too-late-to-come-to-allah/

No comments:

Post a Comment